Saturday, December 12, 2015

Communication

This. This right here is the topic that I could go on and on about. (Kind of funny, really...)

To understand communication, let's first take a look at how it is broken down.

The words we use: 14%

Inflicted Tone: 35%

Non-Verbal Signals (Facial expression, hand movement, etc.): 51%

Total- 100%

I think that these percentages are really interesting, because how is most of our communication shared today? Digitally. We text each other, write a message over social media, update our friends through status updates and other digital means, and more. I know I feel more than a twinge of anxiety whenever I have to actually call someone on the phone... "What am I supposed to say? What if it goes to voicemail, and I have to leave a weird awkward message?"

It's become so simple to type out the perfect response to something, and think that it conveys the optimal message... But look at those percentages again. Communicating through words only conveys 14% of our communication. 

Think about it. How many times have you or someone you know been offended or hurt from a misunderstood text message? I know that I've both sent confusing texts, and been on the receiving end of misconveyed meanings. 

Communication is essential in our relationships. As nice as it is to send someone a text saying, "Thinking of you!" How much more is flt when you call someone, or better yet, go see them? 

We can reach the 100% communication when we interact with others in person. It's something that is becoming less frequent now, but is still vitally important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment